Sunday, January 20, 2013

Simplicity

Red roses

 

Pondering simplicity


I found this little gem on Goodreads:

 “A rose lay open in full bloom
and, looking from my garden room,
I watched the sun-baked flower fill with rain.
It seemed so fragile,
resting there,
and such a silence filled the air,
the beauty of the moment caused me pain.
"What more?" I thought. "There must be more."
As if in answer then, I saw
one weighty drop that caused my rose to fall.
It trembled, then cascaded down
to earth just staining gentle brown
and, since then, I've felt different.
That's all.”
 

― Julie Andrews, Home: A Memoir of My Early Years

Why is it that you spend so much time expecting more instead of focusing on the simple things in life that make you happy?


This post was inspired by Jake's Sunday Post challenge: Simplicity.




10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Mara ,
    Thanks for sharing my friend I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jake. Your theme this week proved quite a challenge.

      Delete
  2. what a wondeful piece from Julie Andrews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just! I knew she wrote children's books but I'd never read anything by her before.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. My better half always says: Keep it simple stupid. it's a little insulting, but makes a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A red rose- my mother's favourite, Mara. Beautiful simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are from my garden. They have a lovely scent.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the simple thing and not to expect more is the way to be happy. Thanks, Mara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many people have a miserable time getting too ambitious, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...