Sunday, January 6, 2013

Goals

I'm not one for making New Year resolutions. That may be because when I do, I usually break at least one of them before the first week of the new year is up. Does anyone out there have the same problem?
 
Having said that, I have achieved some courageous goals in the past. I decided to change career just before the age of thirty. It involved getting a university degree, so I did, while working full-time, with the encouragement of a colleague and the understanding of my boss and my family, of course.

Then, a few years ago, while visiting the island of Madeira, I realized that having grown up in the tropics, I was never going to get used to the cold, grey, wet winters in the north of Portugal. I set out to get a transfer to a better climate and here I am, in the sunny Algarve!
One of the first pics I took with my mobile phone in the Algarve
Now I have a simple goal: to lose the kilos I put on during 2012. Wish me luck!
 
When setting goals for myself, I like to keep in mind a quote by Theodore Roosevelt:
Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars, but remember to keep your feet on the ground.”


Goals is the theme set by Jake this weekend. Check out fellow bloggers' goals here.



10 comments:

  1. Good luck with your weight loss Mara :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you luck. We have been eating better and exercising more. I hope it all pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a great one for resolutions either - but goals seem slightly different! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love TR's quote...good luck with the goal for this year.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Mara Great entry for this week topic my friend,I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Choose a diet which you can really keep to. If you go on a crash diet and you fail you will feel disappointed. Eat smaller meals and take more walks. My problem is hiding the chocolates ;) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a personal adaptation of the Dukan Diet. It worked very well in 2010. Walking more is part of the program but that's the most difficult part because of my work timetable.

      Delete
  7. I'm hopeless, constantly setting goals and then not making it. But without goals I am completely lost. Good luck with the weight loss. We'll compare notes at the end of the year as I'm hoping to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...