Friday, November 16, 2012

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - November

I know, I know, this post was supposed to be published yesterday. I am, in fact, finding it harder and harder to keep to my deadlines and produce three posts a week for my English and Portuguese blogs.

Today I am not going to write about my garden. I have no mid-November photos. Wednesday was a lovely sunny day but I was too busy and then it began to rain and hasn't stopped since! Even the dogs don't want to go outside!

Hopefully the lakes and water reservoirs are filling up.

Oops, I'm digressing.

I had thought it would be nice to feature a friend's South African garden this time. 

Tammy and I lived on the same road in Zimbabwe when we were children and we became friends. Life has separated us - I moved to Portugal and she moved to Cape Town but we have never lost touch.

I was very impressed with her garden when I visited her in 1998. It was a simple but very pleasant space. I have never seen her present garden but I have the pictures she sent me yesterday.

Tammy's garden:


It's spring in Tammy's part of the world. Here are some of her blooms, most of which will go on blooming until June or July when winter arrives.

Tammy's gazanias
Gorgeous gazanias

Tammy's orange gazania


Tammy's lampranthus
Lovely lampranthus

Tammy's South African garden
At the front by the pool area

Tammy likes the saying "one is closer to God in one's garden". She loves flowers! For one thing, they attract butterflies and bees and birds; they also make the place homely. 

She designed this garden herself and does all the work in the garden except the very heavy stuff and the weeding. When she's in the garden she feels at peace and in love with life. When I'm in my garden, I feel like that, too.

You may like to visit May Dreams Gardens for more Garden Bloggers Bloom Day posts from all over the world.

 

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful garden is so important. Love all the flowers in Tammy's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see those gazanias. I had never heard of them until this summer when I saw a fantastic display of them in our local garden centre. They were covered with bees, so I decided to get one to encourage bees into my garden. Well, the plant looked lovely, but I hardly saw any bees on it! I've put some fleece round it now in the hope that it will survive the winter frosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have gazanias in my garden, but if I take out some of the lawn like I'm hoping to do, I'll have space for them.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful memories of a South African garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Tammy's brother also had a gorgeous garden.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...