Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May 2013

Welcome to my garden in the Algarve (hardiness zone 10, I think).

White trumpet lilies
A spectacular splash of white!
Spring arrived with a bang and it's been so hot that I really thought that I wouldn't be able to get important things done in time and that some of the plants would suffer in summer temperatures.
Yellow rose
I grew this rose from a cutting given by a neighbour!
Pink'n white roses
This fragrant rose bush was bought at the local market

However, with one visit from a gardener and a lot of hard work from me, I think I've got most tasks covered.  I even got my waiting rose bushes into the area-where-grass-use-to-be. I'm a bit unsure about how I grouped them by colour but time will tell (didn't want to move 3 resident bushes).

A couple of weeks' ago I found something interesting by the rubbish bins. I inspected it, found it sturdy, picked it up and took it home. It's where I put the petunias and some accompanying plants to liven up the veranda now that the orchids are down to their last blooms.
Petunias, etc.
Recycled!

Red hibiscus
Hibiscus
 This month the mock orange has flowered a little, there have been many white, pink, lilac and red roses already, the red hibiscus and the bougainvillea are starting to bloom, but the yellow hibiscus and the oleanders aren't ready to show their colours, yet.
Bougainvillea
Blooming already


The lemon bush is full of blooms and baby lemons on the back patio.

Lemon bush
Waiting patiently for the lemons.
 My next project is to make my back patio a bit more floral. I'll have to do that with succulents as the back patio is a sun trap.

Doggy on the veranda
Waiting patiently for the end of the flowers' photo shoot!

Now over to May Dream Gardens to see what's blooming in other parts of the world.




8 comments:

  1. Flowers always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some wonderful colour in your garden right now. I really love your recycled planter. It looks fabulous all planted up with Petunias. What's that gorgeous plant with the purple flowers growing under your Lemon Tree? It looks a bit like Cat's Whiskers, but the colour is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I've forgotten that plant's name. I'll have to look for it at a garden center and get back to you. It's supposed to keep away mosquitoes and it's good as a tallish ground cover, although it is a bit invasive.

      Delete
  3. You have a beautiful garden. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment so I don't have a plot to grow things in. We are looking for a planter to hang on the balcony rail, but so far no luck.
    May I ask have you always lived in this part of the world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in Harare, Zimbabwe, then I lived near Oporto, then in 2004 I came south in search of more sunshine.

      Delete
  4. Isn't is wonderful to finally be heading towards summer? The rain this year seems to just be going on and on! The garden looks lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a beautiful garden Mara. Love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...