Sunday, May 5, 2013

Attraction

Jake is back this week and has suggested the theme "Attraction".

Living in the Algarve means that you will see just about anything turned into a tourist attraction. Some things lose their charm when that happens, which is why I love to find things that are definitely attractions but haven't lost their spontaneity or authenticity. Those are qualities I discovered in the displays along the EN 125 on the 1st of May.
Maios: Portuguese prime minister and finance minister
Satirical view of the Portuguese prime minister and his finance minister
Maios:Portuguese prime minister and finance minister
Passers-by were wondering how the "prime minister" kept waving
Maios: Portuguese prime minister and finance minister
Portuguese passers-by loved the beheaded "finance minister" and the satirical poems!

I chose to see this at lunchtime, worried about the congestion I might encounter in the afternoon. There were many foreigners already snapping away and many Portuguese, of course. I even had the chance to chat to one of the locals who had put out the display below and came out to see how passers-by were reacting to his work.

Maios: Man who cannot pay his electric bill
This scene was so perfectly set!
Maio: close-up
So much attention to detail!
That's all for today, but I will be posting more about this, both on here and on my Portuguese blog.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Mara ,I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes,they are! I really enjoyed seeing this. Welcome to my blog.

      Delete
  3. Is this part of a festival or something? I notice some of these have number tags on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, this was a competition. I've been on the phone and hope to have the results soon.

      Delete
  4. Whenever we're back in the Algarve there's something interesting happening, Mara. We're back next week- I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing things like this. you really shows how the locals feel about things.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...