Saturday, February 16, 2013

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day: Feb 2013

It has been a funny February - rain, wind, lowish temperatures - not good weather to venture out and get the garden ready for spring! Result: the garden is a mess. Today the gardener was supposed to come and prune the orange tree to let more light into its centre, but he didn't show.

Unkempt garden
In need of some TLC!

Yet, there are some signs of spring.

The orange tree, which still has lots of ripe oranges, is already preparing to bloom. And the bulbs I planted in autumn are at various stages. Tulip foliage is popping up, and the narcissuses and freesias are beginning to show their flowers. The crocuses seem a bit shy, though.

Narcissus and freesia
Hopefully this planter will be full of colour soon.
Narcissus
Weather-beaten narcissus.

Succulent and freesia
These unlikely companions seem happy together.

Iris
Hmm, I know I planted more than one iris bulb here!

Rosemary
Some lovely rosemary scent by the garden gate.

And finally, my beautiful orchids:
Large yellow orchid

Large yellow orchids
I love orchids!
Some time soon, I'll have red and pink orchid blooms, too.


To see what is happening in gardens all over the world, pop over to May Dream Gardens' blog hop.



7 comments:

  1. Those are truly lovely Orchids. It's great to see the signs of Spring popping up in your garden. Loved the Freesia and Narcissus flowers. They're not something you would see in gardens in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slugs have been at the red orchid so I'm not sure how the flowers will look when they open - fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. I love orchids too! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope the other two orchids will impress too when their flowers open.

      Delete
  3. You have plenty of signs of Spring! Freesia are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a garden on the road to Paderne that usually has thousands of yellow freesias at this time of year. It looks so beautiful! Last year I bought bulbs but I think I planted them too late and wasn't successful. This year I'm happier with my "crop".

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...