Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Insecure Writer's Wednesday


A while ago I jumped on a blog hop without actually being fully aware of what it entailed. I only realised what it involved when I got a reminder last month about having missed a post. I investigated pronto and became very insecure, besides feeling quite silly.

I'm a ESL teacher and a relatively new blogger. I'm not a creative writer. You will not find any short story or novel published by me anywhere. And you are not likely to, because I am not an aspiring author. However, I got myself on this blog hop and I'm not leaving without contributing a post. 

I guess everyone feels insecure at some time - I certainly do. I thought quite hard before starting my blog. Could I do it? Could I make it interesting for others? Sometimes it seems I have nothing to write about and writing a post takes ages, sometimes I have lots to write about and I can swiftly turn out a post.

Writing a short story or a novel must be incomparably more difficult than writing a blog post, of course, so how can I offer encouragement?

Well, I have found two quotes by authors I like that I wish to share with insecure writers of any kind anywhere.

"When asked, 'How do you write?'
I invariably answer, 'one word at a time.'"
- Stephen King

and

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started."
- Agatha Christie


Click on the image to visit others on this blog hop.



8 comments:

  1. That is a great quote by Stephen King! Taking things steps at a time make them seem less overwhelming, that's for sure.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome. I got off to a slow start as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suffering from depression when I started blogging, I think it helped me a lot. Bloggers who write for the sake of writing and do not really have a proper post will be surprised by the fact that their blog readers do notice it and it is always important to have substance to your posts. It is not possible for me to write everyday, I too am also not a writer or a poet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible at poetry. I do encourage my students to try it by doing simple acrostics, though.

      Delete
  4. Insecure writers, how did you join? You don't strike me as insecure :)
    I used to say I'm not a writer I'm a blogger, but then one of my blogging buddies made me stop and think about these words and inspired me to take the next step. I love telling stories so I enrolled on a creative writing course at the end of October and enrolled in the National Novel writing Month (November). We can be anything we want to be Mara, just take courage. I can't spell and am hopeless at grammar, but my mentor said, "hey that's what proof readers are for so just write and don't worry"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As to how I joined, I joined a blog hop. I enjoy blogging but not creative writing.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...