Sunday, June 17, 2012

Famous Movies

For this week's Sunday Post, Jake has challenged us to write about famous movies. There are so many famous movies, it is difficult to choose one. I am therefore choosing a famous movie that is a favourite of mine:

Pretty Woman (1990)

Set in Los Angeles, it seems that it was going to be a dark tale about prostitution but ended up being a great romantic comedy or modern fairy tale about a young, good-hearted prostitute who gets swept away to the good life by a wealthy businessman. 

It was a great success at the box office and one of the highest money-makers of its year. Julia Roberts won a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for Best Actress in the Academy Awards.

I was surprised to learn that both Christoper Reeve and Al Pacino turned down the role of leading man and that Julia Roberts only took on the leading female role after a long list of other actresses were considered. This was very fortunate for Julia Roberts as her performance made her a star!

The critics' response was mixed but I specially liked the review by Janet Maslin of the New York Times, who said "Pretty Woman manages to be giddy, lighthearted escapism much of the time" and that "Ms Roberts... is a complete knockout, and this performance will make her a major star." Her prediction was spot on and, in my humble opinion, her description of the movie as "giddy, "lighthearted escapism" is perfect.

One of my favourite scenes is the one where Vivian (Julia Roberts) goes shopping with Edward's (Richard Gere) credit card to the same posh boutiques where she was snubbed by the shop assistants before. She walks out triumphant, looking gorgeous and the song Pretty Woman plays in the background, and all is right with the world...


 Pretty Woman 


For more information on the Sunday Post challenge, visit Jake's blog.




12 comments:

  1. I love this movie too - such a gentle romance that leaves you with a feel-good feeling after watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chemistry between Julia Roberts and Richard Gere was fantastic!

      Delete
  2. How could a movie with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts go wrong? It's a definite favourite of mine. Love a bit of old fashioned romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, although I don't think "Runaway Bride" worked so well.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping in and commenting on my West Side Story post. I liked Pretty Woman too and for the same reasons you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry for this week topic my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing this one in the theaters. Great flick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TBM,
      Julia Roberts is one of my favourite actresses.

      Delete
  6. I never realized that you had a blogspot blog. Mine is only for books and although I seem to get many visitors it is very impersonal, so I am slowly swithching over to WP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I read reviews of blogger and wordpress and got the impression that blogger was easier for beginners, so here I am.
      I do find it strange that most of the blogging friends I'ved made online are WP, but that may be down to having pigletinportugal as a personal friend and having started by looking at the bloggers who commented on her posts and S.A / Zimb blogs.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...