Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Great expectations - Silves Medieval Fair

Everyone I had talked to spoke highly of the medieval fair at Silves, so I had to see for myself. Here are some of the photos I took.
Silves tower
Silves Town Hall

Morrocan stalls
 The streets were lined with stalls.

More stalls

There was music and dance at the main door of the cathedral. 
It's a beautiful building!
Silves Cathedral 2

Silves Cathedral steps

Silves Cathedral 3
Behind the cathedral there were more stalls and more eating areas.

Preparing to feed the masses
Hmmm? Did they have stainless steel in the Middle Ages?

I had great expectations but, having visited other fairs of this type, I was disappointed that in such a beautiful setting the atmosphere wasn't that of medieval times. It felt more like an arts and crafts fair to me. Street animation was promised in the programme, but I didn't see any. I was hoping to visit the castle but the only way to do that was to pay an extra 3 euros to see a show inside. To watch the jousting, it was another 3 euros.  The Archeology Museum was open and well worth the visit but some other exhibitions closed very early.

Having said this, I'd still recommend a visit, but be prepared to pay more than the basic entrance fee of 2 euros if you want to be entertained and wear sensible footwear because the cobbled streets are very slippery. This fair ends on the 11th of August.


2 comments:

  1. That's too bad that your expectations weren't met. We have a medieval fair here every year and it is a fun event with knights jousting and mud wrestling among other age-appropriate music and entertainment. But it is held in an open field. I thought the backdrop of the buildings there would make for an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The castle, the cathedral and indeed the whole centre of Silves is certainly a perfect backdrop for a medieval fair but this one needs more attention to detail. The fair at Santa Maria da Feira is the best!

      Delete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...