Sunday, April 28, 2013

What a difference a week makes!

Here we were thinking we had skipped spring! 

downtown Albufeira
Sunday lunchtime, downtown Albufeira
Last Sunday it was so hot that I was attracted to all the summer dresses on sale along these downtown Albufeira streets. I also had a long list of must-do tasks in the garden, which were so urgent I didn't go to the beach.

On Thursday it was a public holiday here and suddenly I had the urge to have an ice-cream and coffee by the sea. It was so hot I decided to stay inside the beach café where it was cooler than on the café's veranda. Lots of people were sunbathing or playing in the calm blue sea.
Armacao de Pera beach
Enjoying the view

When it was announced that temperatures would be dropping by ten degrees Celcius, I thought "nah, it'll never happen here in the Algarve"!

Well, I was wrong. Yesterday afternoon, there we were in Lagos, wearing windbreakers and scarves and shivering in a relentless, freezing wind.
Lagos, Algarve
Lagos, Algarve (Portimao in the distance)
The cold was just bearable in the square in front of the Santa Maria Church, where there were loads of stalls to visit and entertainers on a small stage.

Santa Maria Church, Lagos
Festival dos Descobrimentos - lots to see, eat, drink, buy...

Today it is just as cold. When we went to the Lagoa car boot sale (which I highly recommend, on the 4th Sunday of every month), I even put on my woolly hat! 

Gardening tasks have been put on hold. Even my dogs don't want to be outside. It feels like winter again. What a difference a week makes!



5 comments:

  1. What a difference indeed! Here in Perth we are about 1 month away from the start of winter and having temperatures in the upper 20's C, which are apparently 7 to 10 degrees above the average for April. So still wearing short sleeves and enjoying the wonderful sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks beautiful there. Weird, how it suddenly went cold again, although I'd definitely prefer that. I don't do too well in extreme heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well cold or not it looks amazingly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very beautiful there. We had quite a weather change here too over the last couple of days. It was so warm here on Thursday & Friday, we needed to turn on the air conditioner (28 degrees C), then yesterday the temperature dropped to about 6 degrees C & today it's snowing & 1 degree C. I hope Thursday & Friday weren't our entire summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes the weather has been a little up and down recently in Portugal. I cannot wait for summer to start, it feels like this winter has dragged on forever!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...