Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pet

Each week Jake proposes a theme and you can post your interpretation of the theme on your blog anytime before the following Sunday. If you decide to join in, remember to post your link in the comments section  at Jake's blog.

Here is my entry for this week's theme.
Playful, when Jallie first arrived.
I have four rescue dogs of mixed breeds. Friends sometimes suggest that having pets places constraints on my ability to travel and go on holiday. To them I say that before I had a crippling mortgage, I did go on holiday - it just meant making arrangements with a pet-sitter. I cannot imagine my life without dogs around the place.

They are all female. I have a soft spot for the females because they are the ones that get abandoned more frequently. Two are medium-sized dogs, one is small and the newest addition to the family is quite big. Each has her own distinct personality. I love them to bits. They always give me the royal welcome home, regardless of my having been away for five minutes or a whole day. They love walkies and fortunately the Algarve weather permits that almost every day.
Exploring by the sea
This is my oldest dog, Mimosa. She has been with me since 2000. She is hard of hearing and has never had very good eyesight but she is still very energetic and protective of me. She hates thunderstorms. She follows me everywhere she can, like a shadow. She was top dog until the big one took over.
I'm sooo cute!
This is my smallest, Clarita. Everyone loves her so she is spoilt. I can take her anywhere and nobody complains. She craves attention and feels entitled to it all the time. She only really gets on well with humans, Nina and a few small dogs she meets on her walkies. She likes to try catching any gecko that lives in the garden.
What is going on?
Nina is my most loving dog. She gets on well with all dogs but is still wary of people she doesn't know. When she first came to me she used to run away and hide in the garden. I still remember trying to coax her from under the bougainvillea and into the house on a cold, dark rainy night. She gives really good foot massages with her tongue. LOL. Some say she has a sad expression but she is very happy and energetic, really.
Top dog.
Jallie is the most recent arrival, and now top dog by virtue of size and strength. Everyone comments on her big ears. She is old enough to be wiser but she is still a bit mad. I don't let her stay in the front garden unsupervised because she sticks her head through the railings and scares the hell out of passers-by. She also dashes here and there, bumping against my legs and her 3 companions. They don't like that one bit, because she's much bigger than them and hurts them even when she doesn't intend to. She's very bossy.

Two in a bed.
They are all reasonably well-behaved doggies, but when they came to me they had already developed their hatred of cats to such an extent that I have never been able to change that. The neighbours' cats like to visit my garden and cause quite a stir when they are detected. Sometimes I have to go to the rescue.






26 comments:

  1. Great work Mara i really love your work for this week theme thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jake. Talking about my 4-legged friends is so easy.

      Delete
  2. You have beautiful dogs Mara - I am not surprised they bring you much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I knew everyone would like them, too.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, reminds me of the pets we have had over the years. I love dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dogs, too. I have to restrain myself from bringing home more strays all the time.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha ... they look so cute cuddling in that lil bed.
    Isadora http://insidethemindofisadora.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/sunday-photo-challenge-by-jake-pet/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If the little one gets in the bed first she does everything she can to keep the brown one out. And the brown one comes to me for help. She is not assertive with the little one.

      Delete
  5. Lovely dogs, Mara, and thank you so much for rescuing them. In stead of breeding even more dogs and cats, people ought to take pets from an animal shelter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are so many waiting for good homes. Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. they are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree they're all gorgeous, but then I'm biased lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take all look very cute and sweet. Bless you for having the time to care for all four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's strange but taking care of 4 isn't any more work than taking care of two, as long as they stay healthy.

      Delete
  9. Oh, so that's Mimosa on your gravatar. Glad to meet you, girls!
    Jallie does have BIG ears and I understand how she can scare passersby. (My dachshund, small as he is, also scares people and that's on account of his color and his loud bark. Hmm, maybe I should train him to give foot massages, too.)
    I just found your blog today, Mara (your gravatar name is not connected to your blog) and it seems I've been missing out on some good posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments. I've been following your blog for a while. I think my gravatar name IS now connected to my blog, after some directions from Gobetweenflames, but I thought that the last time I tried to fix it, so I'm not sure.

      Delete
  10. When i see this dog picture, it's remembering me about my 2 dog..But both are died,one of it violated with car, second one maybe got poison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrible when they go in accidents or are deliberately killed. But think of all the good memories.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. And they know it! Thank you for dropping by and commenting.

      Delete
  12. They are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As their proud owner, I agree. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you. Can't imagine my life without pets.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...