Monday, June 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - June 2015

Welcome!
It finally rained yesterday.
Mara's garden
Isn't green a beautiful colour? I have chosen what to photograph very carefully but I don't really want to deceive you into thinking everything in my garden is wonderful.  

Hibiscus, oleander and santolina
You see, it is suffering the consequences of some rash/uninformed choices that I have made. For example, in the photo above, to the left of the poorly-looking santolina and even behind the hibiscus lurk invasive mirabilis jalapa. After going to so much trouble to get some last year and enjoying the colours and perfume in the autumn, I now have the horrible task of trying to get rid of the few original plants plus all the little babies they have produced. If only my neighbour had told me how hard it was to get rid of last autumn!
Busy rosebed
Another problem is that the rose bed has too many plants, including an invasive mint but where are the roses? I haven't had time to do any dead-heading, so no blooms.
The lavenders have been a talking point for ages but all good things come to an end, too. Some of the middle branches have died, which means I will have to remove this damaged lavender soon.

bougainvillea close-up
Looking on the bright side, the bougainvillea looks pretty.
blue and white agapanthus blooms
The agapanthus are blooming.
yellow yarrow
And here is my favourite plant for this bloom day - I believe it's yarrow Tansy (Thank you, pmbGarden). Last year it looked a bit puny but now it seems right at home. I have planted some more by the front wall but you can't really see them. I love the scented foliage, but now I've read that it's invasive. Oh dear!

Thank you to Carol at May Dreams Gardens for hosting Bloom Day. Visit her blog to find beautiful June blooms.




5 comments:

  1. Lovely blooms, and there is always something that needs doing in the garden isnt there? I planted a curry leaf tree, and now that is popping up all over the place. Maybe the lavendar can be cut back and it might just re-shoot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often overplant and then regret it. I got some "groundcover" plants from a neighbor that were so invasive it took years and chemicals to get rid of them. I thought I had learned but last year I planted something that is spreading too fast and going under shrubs. That will be a nightmare too. Your garden is lovely! We don't see the things you do. We see the soft greens and beautiful colors. Wish I could grow bougainvillea. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it nice to get that rain? Your garden is looking nice. The flowers on your yarrow remind me of Tansy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and setting me straight. The flowers remind you of Tansy, maybe because the plant is Tansy and not yarrow. Oops, I did it again! After reading your comment I googled Tansy...

      Delete
  4. Your garden does look beautiful. I love all the flowers you have planted.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...