Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day -March/April 2015

Last month was the first time I didn't post about my garden since I began participating in this meme. And I just couldn't leave it at that. Since I did actually take photos on the 15th of March, I have decided to show them off now, together with today's photos.

Both months have been good for orchids, although the one with yellow flowers suffered a lot of rain damage.
 

This is currently in a vase on my kitchen table.
At the beginning of March it felt like spring but since then we've had rain, cold, wind, almost-summer heat, more rain, cold, wind... the seasons seem confused. As a result, the rose bushes have only recently been pruned and my favourite red rose bush has died! Fortunately, a neighbour has a similar one, so my plan is to get some cuttings from him soon.
The rosemary and lavenders are still looking spectacular.
The jasmine was very late. It usually flowers around my birthday but this time we were well into March when its scent began competing with the orange blossom. Friends spent Easter here and that's when the scent was at its most powerful.


Having recently visited a very pretty, sustainable garden (which I hope to write about soon), I am planning to make some changes so that I don't have to use as much water as I do in the summer.
I'm thinking of removing more grass, putting in flowering ground covers, a quince bush (for fruit and a bit more shade), geraniums and other plants that don't require a lot of water.
 Meanwhile, I need to do some weeding.

Well, that's all for now. I'm off to link to May Dreams Gardens, where GGBD begins every 15th of the month.



3 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you've had lots of unseasonal conditions lately. What a shame you've lost your favourite red Rose. I can just imagine how heady the perfume of your Jasmine must have been. It looks spectacular covered in blooms. Loved your Orchids too! I like your idea of getting rid of some grassed areas. Grass is such a thirsty plant. I look forward to seeing the ground covers you put in instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the different flowers mixed together to look like wild flowers. Geraniums are easy to grow but if they get too much water they rot easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geraniums not wanting too much water is an advantage here because summer is long, hot and dry.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...