Friday, August 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2014

Today I cannot give you an update on my Algarve garden because I'm spending a few days in the north of Portugal, where I used to live. Hopefully my very helpful neighbour has been keeping my garden watered and I will have blooms to photograph when I get back.

In the meantime, here are some of the blooms in my old garden.
I have tried to take some of these south but they got lost somehow. I'll try again.

hydrangea
In the north we managed to multiply this hydrangea many times without any problems but my two attempts at moving fully-rooted plants south have failed. I'm not giving up yet!

Given enough space, this bougainvillea could be a tree like the one we had in Salisbury, many years ago.

Bottle brush
The unusually wet weather this spring and summer has been good to my bottle brush, which is in a very dry and windy part of the garden.

Yarrow?
These blooms are not fully open, because they are getting too much shade. The plants I took south were looking much prettier last week but, oops, I was too busy to take photos. 

I have to downsize so this house and garden will become just a memory soon.

I hope you will visit again in a couple of weeks when I post again from the Algarve.

Meanwhile, why not pop over to May Dreams Gardens, where Bloom Day is hosted every month.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden. I had to move and leave a garden too...I still have sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ironic that I started the garden and moved away almost straight away. It was really pretty a couple of years after I left, then became unmanageable as the shrubs grew quickly (I had planted too many). I never got round to fixing the front part of the garden as I would have liked. Now I have to sell.

      Delete
  2. Lovely flowers Mara. I have been unable to grow hydrangeas, it just gets too hot, and I don't have many shady spots in my garden. Didn't know there was Bottlebrush in Portugal, I have a couple of trees in my garden in Perth. Our bougainvillea grows a lot but doesn't flower too much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This could be a lovely garden, better than my Algarve garden, which is a boring square shape. Lots of gardens have hydrangeas in the Algarve so I don't understand why I'm failing. My Algarve bougainvillea is also lazy to flower.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mara, your flowers are so pretty! I grew up in Mexico and remember the Bougainvillea and Bottlebush getting very tall. I also moved and left my garden alone for two years. But now I'm back to the same house and garden, so I've been working hard at getting it back in shape.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please leave a comment...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...